Services for adults include home energy assistance, education access assistance, job assistance, and more. Appointments are required. For information, call the Hinds County Human Resource Agency – (601) 923-3930 or visit the Our Programs page.
Adults & Families FAQ’s
I’M GOING THROUGH A FINANCIAL HARDSHIP – HOW DO I GET ASSISTANCE?
A staff member will determine your eligibility based on income and information supplied. You will have to attend one of our weekly orientations for more information. After orientation you will be scheduled for an appointment.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO HAVE FOR MY APPOINTMENT?
You will need the following items for your appointment:
- Pay Stub (If no pay stub, a letter of wage statement on official letterhead is needed for employment verification.)
- Social Security cards for ALL household members
- Picture I.D. for EACH ADULT (18 years and over) household member
- Current Lease Agreement and Current Eviction Notices
- Current utility bills for which you want assistance MUST be in the name of the head of the household only.
For more information, please review the Required Documents Checklist.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE ME TO RECEIVE ASSISTANCE?
You may receive assistance immediately after your appointment; however, due to high demand for services, it may be several months before you are scheduled for an appointment.
WHAT IF I HAVE AN EMERGENCY AND NEED ASSISTANCE?
You will be scheduled immediately, if it is determined that an emergency has occurred.
WHAT’S CONSIDERED AN EMERGENCY?
Hinds County Human Resource Agency considers the following as emergencies:
- Loss of Income
- Too Much Medical Cost (must have proof)
- Sudden Medical Cost
- Household Income Provider Walked Out on You
- Household Income Provider Died
- Theft (must have police report dated on the day of theft)
- Disaster (fire, gas leak, tornado, etc.)