Hinds County Human Resource Agency (HCHRA) will host its 2017 LIHEAP (Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program) Awareness Day on Saturday, March 25, 2017, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Black’s Chapel Church located at 3425 Robinson Street in Jackson, Mississippi. HCHRA case managers will provide LIHEAP assistance as well as Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) funds on the spot.
LIHEAP provides financial assistance to eligible households to help pay the cost of home energy bills and other energy related services. CSBG provides funds to help alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty in communities.
Who is eligible?
You must be at least 18 years of age or an emancipated minor, live in Hinds County, and meet income guidelines.
How do I apply?
Come to the LIHEAP Awareness Day on March 25th and receive onsite assistance. No appointment is necessary on this day. If you have never received assistance, go to the Virtual ROMA website at https://virtualroma.mdhs.ms.gov to complete the online application. If you do not have access to a computer, you may complete the Virtual ROMA application onsite March 25th.
To receive LIHEAP or CSBG assistance, bring ALL of the following documents:
- Proof of all income for all adults in the household, including pay stubs for the past 30 days, SSI, award letter from Social Security Administration, unemployment, pension/ retirement statements, and verification of child support, if applicable.
- If unemployed, you must provide documentation to show WIN Job Center registration within the last 30 days.
- If you have children under 18 but do not receive child support, you must provide verification of your cooperation with the Mississippi Department of Human Services (MDHS).
- Social Security Cards for all household members
- Picture IDs for all adults in the household
- Birth Certificates for all household members
- Guardianship documentation for any child in your household that is not your biological child
- Current utility bills
NOTE: Black’s Chapel Church does not operate the LIHEAP or CSBG programs. The church is the site for the March 25th LIHEAP Awareness Day event. Funds are administered by Hinds County Human Resource Agency in partnership with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Mississippi Department of Human Services. Church staff is not able to provide assistance. If you need additional information about LIHEAP or CSBG, please visit Our Programs page here on our website.